Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sea Organs and Labyrinths


In October, I welcomed many visitors to Budapest, including my Aunt Elaine from Kansas City, my cousin Jessica from Berlin, and my sister and brother-in-law, Nicole and Nat, from Sun Valley, Idaho. We tromped around all of Budapest's major landmarks and even went underground into the castle district's labyrinths - a tourist trap I had not yet enjoyed. The picture above is of my sister and aunt next to the labyrinth's wine fountain, which represents the myriad wine cellars of the region. Unfortunately, no sampling was allowed.

Besides touring Budapest, I took Nicole and Nat on a road trip through Croatia. We stopped in Zagreb so I could show them my flat and beloved town, and then we went to Zadar, a small coastal town. Despite driving around for hours trying to find our apartment (which is a prerequisite to any trip to Croatia), our stay in the peaceful city was lovely. Our accommodations were right on the water and were gorgeous - this is a picture taken from our driveway.


Like the other charming coastal Croatian towns I've visited, Zadar had ancient Roman churches, city centers composed of narrow, winding streets and cobblestone walkways. The old part of town was on a peninsula, so it was easy to get to the sea, which we did to sit and watch the sunset. Alfred Hitchcock once said Zadar had the world's most beautiful sunsets, and I'm inclined to agree.





However, the highlight of the charming city was its sea organ, which trumped even the sunset. It is an experimental instrument activated by undulating waves and wind. On the surface, it just looks like marble stairs, but underneath the stairs are tubes that emit sound as water rushes into them. As air in the tubing is displaced, it plays a note and the pitch resounds through a hole in the marble stairwell. The resulting noises are soothing although chaotic. I found it completely mesmerizing. Here is a video of it.


No comments: